If you asked me two years ago, direct messages on Instagram were not a thing. However, Instagram has significantly improved the direct messaging system, and I enjoy it for the ease of use, especially since Whatsapp stuffs so many things nowadays. Examining or recovering deleted Instagram messages is also quite simple.
If you deleted someone’s entire DM chat history from your Instagram account by accident, or if someone sent you a message and then deleted it, you can easily recover those messages in a matter of minutes.
View deleted messages (unsend message)
You can unsend a message on Instagram DM by pressing and holding the message you want to delete; this deletes the message on both sides of the conversation.
Only the user who sent the message knows what he sent, while Whatsapp displays “This message has been deleted,” which many people find annoying (especially people in relationships).
While there is no official way to view deleted Instagram messages, you can keep track of your notifications using third-party notification log apps. Yes, regardless of the outcome, any message sent will appear on the notification, and the notification will be deleted as soon as the sender deletes the message on Instagram.
- Install the Notification History Log app on your Android device.
- If you’re using iOS, get Pushover Notifications.
- After that, simply grant the app the necessary permissions and turn on the features that are accessible.
- That’s it; now, whenever someone sends you something on Instagram and then deletes it, you won’t be able to see it on Instagram, but you will be able to see the deleted messages using this notification history app.
Recover deleted direct messages on Instagram
Like Facebook, Instagram saves all of your conversations on the server. As a result, you can recover a deleted Instagram chat from the Instagram server even if you delete it.
How to Get Deleted Messages Restored
- Log in to the Instagram app with your username and password (that you want to recover the chat from)
- Go to your profile, then Settings in the top right corner.
- Select Security, then Data and History, then Download Data.
- Enter your email address to receive the deleted chat data (any email would do).
- You should receive an email from Instagram within 5 minutes; open the email and click the Download Data connection link.
- You’ll be directed to Instagram, where you can download a.zip file containing your entire chat history.