To change the default applications on Windows 11, follow our step-by-step instructions.
If you don’t know how to change the default applications on Windows 11, we’ll show you how. Windows 11 keeps track of which programs open which file types by default. The Photos program, for example, can open JPG files. However, I may alter the default programs to suit your requirements better.
Find the Default Apps menu.
The Settings app in Windows 11 lets you quickly choose or change which programs can open which file types. Follow these steps to get started:
- Start by going to the Windows Settings app.
- If you don’t know-how, you can use the Windows+i hotkey or right-click on the Start icon and select “Settings” from the menu that appears.
- Then select the “Apps” option from the sidebar.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Default Apps.”
- After you’ve reached the Default Apps area, you have a few options, which we’ll detail below.
Choose default apps by file type.
Searching by file type is one of the simplest ways to change default applications. Follow these steps to get started:
- “Enter a file type or link type,” says a box in the Default Apps section.
- After that, select the file extension you want to change. “.txt” stands for text files, “.png” stands for images, etc.
- If you type in a non-registered extension, a “Choose a Default” option will appear, allowing you to select the default program.
- The related program will appear below the text entry area if you type in a known file extension. You can change the app’s settings by clicking on the box corresponding to your preferences.
- After checking that box, you’ll get a pop-up asking, “How do you want to open [extension] files?”. Choose the program you want to watch.
Adjust default apps
You can also adjust the settings according to the program you’re using… You’ll see a list of installed apps in the Default Apps area. Choose any program from the drop-down menu, such as Photos.
To begin, scroll down and select the appropriate file extension. The setup will then ask you at some point which application you want to use as the default. Then, from the list, choose the app you want to use. Choose “OK” after that.
Change a default app when opening a file.
While a file is open, you can also change its associations.
Follow these steps to get started:
- When you right-click on a file and choose “Open With,” you should see an option called “Pick Another App.”
- By clicking on the option you want to set as default in the pop-up menu, you can select it.
- Then check the option next to “Always use this program to open [extension] files.”
- After that, click “OK.”