Amazon is always coming up with new features, products, and networks to improve its services. In the same way, it has recently added a new feature called Amazon Sidewalk. Even when you don’t have WiFi, it helps to keep your neighborhood connected even if you aren’t. It will let a lot of different things stay connected. But then it can also get in the way of your privacy, which is bad. Whenever you don’t need Amazon Sidewalk, you should opt-out of it. Here’s how to do it.
What is Amazon Sidewalk
Amazon Sidewalk is a wireless shared network that uses the WiFi in your home to make Bluetooth and Radio signals that aren’t very big. The more you use things like Amazon Echo devices, outdoor lights, Ring Security Cameras, Tile trackers and motion sensors, and so on, the more they work better. Pooling the network with your neighbors makes it even more powerful and gives you even more speed.
It doesn’t matter that Amazon has made Sidewalk with three layers of encryption because the network is shared. There are still risks to our privacy. Also, Sidewalk is an “opt-out” feature, which means it will stay on until you turn it off. This means it will stay on until you do. It doesn’t mean that if you don’t want to share your information with other people, you can just click a few times to get out of Amazon Sidewalk.
How to Opt-Out of Amazon Sidewalk Using the Alexa App
Quick Guide: Open Alexa app > More > Tap Settings > Select Account Settings > Choose Amazon Sidewalk > Tap Disable.
- Go to the Alexa app on your phone.
- Click the More button on the bottom right of the screen.
- Choose in the settings that you want to use.
- Select the Account Settings.
- Tap on the Amazon Sidewalk option.
- Tap the Disable option
Related: How to Cancel Amazon Freetime Subscription
It’s possible to keep your Sidewalk on and turn off the Community Findings so that you can connect to your neighbor’s Echo, Rings, and so on through Sidewalk Bridges if you want. The only thing you can do to change the future is to keep your Sidewalk on.
- First, open the Alexa app on your phone.
- Tap More > Settings > Account Settings in the upper right corner of the screen.
- This is how you get to Amazon Sidewalk. Then click on Community Findings.
- Now disable the toggle near Community Findings to turn it off.
How to Turn off Disable Amazon Sidewalk Using the Ring App’
- Install the Ring app on your phone.
- Press the three-dotted icon in the upper left corner of the screen. This will open the menu.
- Click on Control Center to get to the Control Center.
- Fourth, choose Sidewalk.
- Now, turn off the toggle next to the Sidewalk. Tap Disable Sidewalk to confirm that you want to leave.
Related: How to Enable Dark Mode in Amazon Alexa App
If you have both the Alexa and Ring apps, make sure to turn them off. It doesn’t matter if you choose not to use one app. As long as Amazon has a guarantee in the form of a white paper, it’s too soon to make the deal happen. So make sure you don’t use it when you don’t need to.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a Sidewalk Enabled Device?
They are called Sidewalk Enabled Devices because they can connect to Amazon Sidewalk and use Sidewalk Bridges to get to other places.
2. Will Amazon Sidewalk replaces the home WiFi Network?
WiFi is needed to use Sidewalk Bridges normally. It can share a low-bandwidth network with the devices that can use it, but it can’t connect to high-bandwidth networks like WiFi or mobile networks.
3. How much does it cost to get Amazon Sidewalk?
It doesn’t cost anything to use this service on Amazon. Then again, it does use a small amount of bandwidth from your WiFi or internet. So, internet fees might be charged, too.